Category Archives: Meme
My good friend Barb has tagged me yet again. She knows I can’t resist any opportunity to talk about my kids. Fortunately for you, I only get to share 3 things about each of them. This is the best photo we have of all of them together, taken several years ago, and it’s one of my favorites.
1) She’s 16 going on 21. She’s fashion-conscious and loves to shop. I miss having her as my wardrobe consultant.
2) She was the best baby ever. Never fussed, slept all night every night from the minute she was born, and would entertain herself for hours with the toys in her crib.
3) She’s smart, talented, funny, and she loves babies. She hopes to be a pediatrician someday.
1) She’s 14 and very athletic. She cares more about comfort than fashion. She’s fun to shop with because she’s easy to please.
2) She walked early, and was always so bouncy and bubbly. She loved to sing, and her giggle was contagious.
3) She’s smart, talented, funny, and loves animals. She plans to be a veterinarian.
1) Emily is 13 and very self-conscious. She doesn’t like to be noticed.
2) She’s extremely intelligent and very talented. She has an amazing singing voice.
3) She’s got a great sense of humor and loves to pick on her little brother.
1) Andrew is 11 and is all boy. He’s cute and sweet, though not terribly affectionate.
2) He likes to imagine blowing things up. He loves computer games and sci-fi movies.
3) He’s extremely intelligent and very funny. He enjoys tormenting his big sister.
They’re an eclectic bunch, not well-blended, but we’re working on that.
I’ve been tagged so much lately that I’m starting to feel like Minnie Pearl. Lauren tagged me for this one a while back, and I’m just now getting to it. Sorry, Lauren! I think it’s been around a few times, and I don’t know who else to tag, so I’m just going to put this one out there.
1. One book that changed your life: Besides the Bible? Returning to Holiness by Dr. Gregory R. Frizzell.
2. One book that you’ve read more than once: Little House in the Big Woods. We have the Little House series, and my girls loved having me read to them.
3. One book you’d want on a desert island: Besides the Bible? The Rescuers, of course.
4. One book that made you laugh: Skipping Christmas by John Grisham.
5. One book that made you cry: What Was Good About Today by Carol Kruckeberg.
6. One book that you wish had been written: Bloggercise! Get Fit While You Sit.
7. One book you wish had never been written: Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard.
8. One book you are currently reading: Voices of the Faithful by Beth Moore and Friends.
9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: Pawley’s Island by Dorothea Benton Frank.
Consider yourself tagged if you haven’t already done this one, and/or let me know if you have so I can come visit.
If you could write a novel about any subject, what would it be?
(Just the subject–don’t give away your plot idea!)
Mine would be the story of a young maiden who isn’t aware of her beauty. She longs to be adored, but she has been deceived into believing that she’s much too plain and too scholarly to catch the eye or the heart of a man.
She loses all hope of ever finding true love, when one day she meets an evil beast disguised as a handsome, charming prince. He convinces her that he is the only one who is capable of loving her because only he can see how beautiful she is. He locks her in a room with a two-way mirror so that he can admire her beauty and only lets her out to cook and clean and to go bowling with him and his beast buddies. She realizes his deception when he flips the wrong switch, allowing her to see him without his disguise. Repulsed, she begins to formulate a plan for escape. She encourages him to take up a hobby, buys him a set of golf clubs, and he disappears for days at a time….
Whatcha think? Too predictable?
The genre would be autobiographical fiction. I don’t know how interesting it would be to read, but I think it would be fun to write.
According to the rules, which can be found at Violet Voices, I gotta tag 5 (or so) people. So…
I tag Kelli, Grafted Branch, Lori, Dawn, Tammy, and Cheryl.
Hope you ladies have as much fun with it as I did!
Trying to think of a hundred interesting things about me was harder than I expected. I’m sure there are tons of things no one really wants to know, so I’ll just keep those to myself. I have tried not to repeat the things I’ve already mentioned in previous memes. To those of you who were looking forward to this, I hope you’re not too disappointed. Well, let’s get on with it, shall we?
1. I am abundantly blessed. Haven’t counted lately, though. Have you?
2. I adore my husband. I think he’s cool. I also think he’s hot.
3. I love to harmonize. I’m an alto. I was a soloist in my previous church.
4. I was in choir at church and school in 7th through 12th grade. I sang 2nd soprano.
5. I’m an aunt to 24 nieces and nephews.
6. I’m the 2nd of 4 children, 3 girls and 1 boy.
7. I was a middle child for 7 years.
8. I was my mom’s biggest baby at 7lbs 9oz. I’m the smallest now.
9. I was bald until I was 2 years old. My hair came in curly. The curl relaxed considerably after the birth of my children.
10. I was born again when I was 14 years old.
11. I was raised Southern Baptist.
12. I do not consider myself Southern Baptist, although I’m not sure exactly which label fits.
13. I don’t know why I feel a need to have a label.
14. I am not allergic to exercise. I used to be in excellent shape.
15. I’m built like an athlete. If athletes were, you know, short and dumpy.
16. I’m not very athletic.
17. I can swim, but I cannot dive. Nor can I water ski.
18. I have never tried snow skiing.
19. I was on the Bozo show in 1st grade. Clowns do not scare me.
20. I have never had a broken bone.
21. I have been to California 3 times in my life. Once when I was 7, once at 11, and again in March of this year.
22. Chocolate cheesecake is my absolute favorite dessert.
23. I am dependable.
24. I am a dork.
25. I can’t dance, but I do anyway.
26. I prefer daisies to roses.
27. My favorite food is cheese enchiladas.
28. I am very easy-going. It takes a lot to get me riled.
29. I am empathetic. Other people’s pain bothers me more than my own.
30. I have few close friends. I’m not good at keeping in touch.
31. I have green eyes.
32. Green is one of my favorite colors.
33. I’m not a girlie girl.
34. I do not like hard candy, except peppermints.
35. I don’t like hospitals.
36. My kids don’t understand my sense of humor.
37. I hate to take medicine.
38. I had my first alcoholic beverage on my 21st birthday. One is my limit. I do not drink beer.
39. I tried smoking when I was 11. I started smoking at 21.
40. I tried my first joint with my first husband.
41. He also introduced me to cocaine.
42. Until then, I had never ever put any foreign objects into my nose.
43. I have never kept a journal.
44. I can keep a secret, but I don’t keep anything from my husband.
45. I did not go to kindergarten. It wasn’t required back then.
46. I love to laugh.
47. I look a lot like my mom.
48. I’m late everywhere I go.
49. I do not believe in luck.
50. I can read music.
51. I took mandolin lessons in 5th grade.
52. I still have that mandolin, which is warped from years of storage.
53. My husband bought me a new mandolin, but I can’t play it either. He can.
54. I have never had braces.
55. I have never had lice.
56. I have never had my nails done professionally.
57. I took piano lessons in 5th grade. I can only play with my right hand. I can pick out a melody by ear.
58. I’m quirky.
59. I am quiet.
60. I was painfully shy as a child. I’m still not terribly outgoing.
61. Red is another of my favorite colors.
62. I do not understand road rage.
63. I am very soft-spoken. I usually have to repeat myself. I SAID I usually have to repeat myself.
64. I taught myself to sew, and I have made quite a few dresses for myself and my girls.
65. I taught myself to quilt.
66. I rarely watch television. I’m the only one in the family who can walk into a room without turning on the TV.
67. When I was little, my mom dressed me and my younger sister alike. Everyone thought we were twins.
68. I prefer homemade tacos to restaurant tacos.
69. I have varicose veins.
70. I do not have stretch marks.
71. In second grade, Kitty and I painted each other’s pants with watercolors. Mine were hot pink double-knit polyester high-waters. I was some kinda cool.
72. I stayed in at recess because Keith and Delbert liked me and would chase me. I didn’t like boys. Mrs. Johnson was my teacher.
73. I aced all my tests in school until my senior year.
74. I was popular with the jocks because I’d let them see my answers.
75. Mr. Loibner, my 8th grade science teacher, always wrote my test score on the chalkboard. (Highest in class.)
76. I got bonus points on one of his tests because I spelled out “deoxyribonucleic acid” when everyone else just wrote “DNA”. I was NOT trying to show off.
77. I got a C in Calculus.
78. I got my first F in 11th grade English when I didn’t turn in my research paper.
79. I hated math until 7th grade.
80. I was in the National Junior Honor Society in 8th and 9th grades.
81. I was in the National Honor Society in 10th and 11th grades.
82. I did not graduate with honors, but I did score high enough on the ACT to merit a scholarship to the University of Central Arkansas.
83. I was going to be a Speech Pathologist, but I didn’t finish college.
84. I lost my scholarship with a 3.75 grade average because I didn’t have enough hours.
85. I have never taken the SAT.
86. My first husband was the first person who ever said I was beautiful.
87. That’s one of the reasons I married him.
88. My sisters and I were in a family “band” when we were younger. We played (poorly) for my dad’s Optimist Club meetings.
89. I’m a grandma. My ex’s 28-year-old daughter has a little boy. He’s 18 months old.
90. I worked at the Little Rock Post Office for 7 years.
91. I know almost every ZIP code, or at least the first 3 digits, for the state of Arkansas.
92. I was in a puppet ministry in junior high.
93. I love to be wined and dined. Burgered and fried is OK, too.
94. I have had only one speeding ticket in my life.
95. I was the financial secretary of my church for 5 years and served as church clerk for 6.
96. I taught a junior high girls Sunday school class for 3 years.
97. I taught 5th grade Sunday school for one year.
98. I fell in love for the first time in my life when my first child was born.
99. The job I have now is the first job I’ve ever had where I have not been subjected to sexual harrassment.
100. When I was a kid, I paired my crayons by “gender”. Dark colors were male and light colors were female.
Yes, I know, it couldn’t have been more random, but there it is.
Got this one from Grafted Branch.
1. NAME: Brenda
2. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? Everyone named before 11:45 pm on March 9, 1966.
3. WHEN DID YOU LAST CRY? Last night, over my kids
4. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? not really
5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCHMEAT? bologna (pronounced baloney)
6. KIDS? Yeah. Wanna trade? They behave better for other people.
7. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? Funny question. Which me are we talking about?
8. DO YOU HAVE A JOURNAL? Only online – 2 of them
9. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT? Mostly in my head, and often when I open my mouth.
10. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? Yes
11. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? Up, yes. Down? Probably not.
12. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? Life, Special K, Golden Grahams
13. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? No, but I untie them to put them on, unless they don’t tie.
14. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? Not as physically strong as I used to be, but much stronger emotionally.
15. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR? Edy’s Dreamery Black Raspberry Avalanche or plain ol’ Chocolate
16. SHOE SIZE? 6 1/2 W I D E
17. RED OR PINK? red
18. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? Indecisiveness or Procrastination – haven’t made up my mind… yet.
19. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? Whom? My kids
20. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? A link back to this post is sufficient. My inbox is full, TYVM.
21. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? No pants. A black dress with tan weed-looking floral print and black sandals.
22. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? Various nocturnal critters.
23. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? Purple. Ever seen a purple cow? Didn’t think so!
24. FAVORITE SMELL? Hazelnut
25. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? My daughter, Lindsey
26. THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE YOU ARE ATTRACTED TO? Their smile
27. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? The person I borrowed it from, you mean. I’ve never met her, but I think I would like her.
28. FAVORITE DRINK. Unsweetened Iced tea or regular Coke
29. FAVORITE SPORT? Blogging is a sport, right? College basketball and Pro baseball to watch, badminton or volleyball to play.
30. EYE COLOR? greenish/bluish/greyish depending upon what I wear, mostly green
31. HAT SIZE? no idea
32. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? no
33. FAVORITE FOOD: Shrimp & spinach pasta alfredo
34. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDING? suspense or happy ending, I’m not into scary.
35. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED AT THE MOVIES? Benchwarmers
36. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? See #21
37. SUMMER OR WINTER? summer
38. HUGS OR KISSES? Kisses! with almonds 🙂
39. FAVORITE DESSERT? cheesecake
40. WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? I don’t know, Barb maybe?
41. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? Dave Barry.
42. WHAT BOOKS ARE YOU READING? Waking the Dead by John Eldredge, The Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie O’Martian, and HTML Complete 3rd Edition
43. WHAT’S ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? crumbs
44. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON TV LAST NIGHT? History Channel or Discovery Channel, not sure which. The backs of my eyelids were slightly more intriguing.
45. FAVORITE SOUNDS? silence, saxophone, cello
46. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES? Beatles
47. THE FURTHEST YOU’VE BEEN FROM HOME? Puerto Vallarta, Mexico on my 1st honeymoon.
48. WHAT IS YOUR PRESENT OCCUPATION? Accounting Technician
49. BOXERS OR BRIEFS? I don’t wear either, but I like hubby in boxers…or not. What? We’re married.
50. I TAG…YOU! Leave a comment so I can come read yours, ok?
I was tagged by Paulette for this meme. Here goes:
Accent: Um. Educated redneck? Born and raised in Arkansas, now living in Georgia. My high school French teacher told me I had an excellent French accent. Mais oui!
Bible Book that I like: Ephesians. Favorite verse from Ephesians is 4:32.
Chore I don’t care for: Any of them. I need a maid.
Dog or Cat: Fried, please. (Kidding!) Dog
Essential Electronics: Computer and cell phone
Favorite Movie: Napoleon Dynamite. Yes, I am a dork.
Gold or Silver: Silver
Handbag I Carry Most Often: My husband bought me a red and black canvas bag with a University of Georgia emblem on front for my birthday.
Insomnia: Usually only at night. I have no trouble sleeping at my desk or behind the wheel.
Job Title: Accounting Technician (fancy way of saying data entry clerk), Wife, Mother
Kids: 1 husband, 1 stepson, 1 stepdaughter, 2 daughters
Living Arrangements: 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bath humble abode in a quaint little subdivision on the outskirts of town. We have hubby’s kids on weekends and mine whenever they choose to grace us with their presence, (hopefully for the school year.)
Most Memorable Moment: Winning the Miss America pageant. Oh, wait. That wasn’t me. Seeing my ankles again after giving birth to my first child was pretty momentous, but it doesn’t hold a candle to falling in love with her immediately. Then her sister came along, and my heart doubled in size. Nothing compares to that.
Naughtiest Childhood Behavior: Mercilessly teasing my overweight sisters, which not only was terribly cruel, but was really stupid on my part because they could beat me up.
Overnight Hospital Stays: Twice for childbirth, once for a hernia operation, and once for a cervical cone biopsy.
Phobias: Being the only one who doesn’t get the joke.
Quote: “I may not agree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to shut up.” – Unknown (kidding!)
“I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.” – Stephen Grellet
Religion: None for me, thanks. I’m a born-again believer in Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God, whom I know personally as my Lord and Savior. Southern Baptist upbringing, if you must know, with a sprinkling of United Methodist (pun intended. I was dunked.)
Siblings: I have an older sister by 2 years, a younger sister by 11 months, and a younger brother by 8 years.
Time I Wake Up: After about the 4th or 5th snooze. 7:15 at the latest.
Unusual Talent: I can read upside down, recite the alphabet backwards, and quote Green Eggs and Ham word for word. Not unusual enough? Okay, I can sing the theme song to “All In the Family” and sound exactly like Edith Bunker. Wanna hear?
Vegetable I Refuse to Eat: Beets. Or anything pickled. Except, you know, pickles.
Worst Habit: Smoking. I’ve been meaning to quit. (2nd worst: Procrastination.)
X-rays: Ribs, once, after a car accident. Dental, several times.
Yummy Stuff I Cook: I don’t cook often enough, but I can make a mean meatloaf, baked chicken, spinach lasagne, and cheesecake
Zoo Animal I Like Most: Otter
Have a Wonderful Day!